Disclosure Requirements by Charities and Collection Agents

The Liquor and Gambling Commissioner administers the Collections for Charitable Purposes Act 1939 to protect the public interest in the area of fundraising by non-profit groups by providing disclosure requirements for charitable collections (section 6 licence) and entertainment (section 7 licence).

Charities and their Collection Agents are required by legislation to lodge annual "Fundraising Income and Expenditure Statements" to provide the public with information regarding Charities and Collection Agents' financial performance in relation to charitable collections and entertainment.

Licensees can also authorise the Minister to publish their audited accounts.

The Charities List contains a comprehensive list of all Charities and Collection Agents' contact and licence details including financial details.

Collections for Charitable Purposes Overview

The Collections for Charitable Purposes Act 1939 regulates fundraising activities conducted for a "charitable purpose" as defined in the Act.

The definition of "charitable purpose" includes:

Charitable organisations that are not collecting for a charitable purpose as described above do not require licensing and therefore will not be found on the Charities List (e.g. religious organisations, environmental groups and educational institutions).

Any charity seeking access to Commonwealth taxation concessions and other Commonwealth benefits and concessions, including deductible gift recipient (DGR) status, is required to be registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission.

Fundraising activities for a "charitable purpose" include:


Licences issued pursuant to the Collections for Charitable Purposes Act 1939 include:

Section 6 Licence

Any person acting as a collector that wishes to:

must be the holder of a Section 6 licence.

Section 6A Licence

Any person that has a collection contract with a charity and wishes to employ another person to act as a collector on his/her behalf to:

must be the holder of a Section 6A licence.

Section 7 Licence

Any organisation that wishes to conduct entertainment, or sell or attempt to sell a ticket for admission to entertainment and the proceeds or part of the proceeds are for a "charitable purpose", must be the holder of a Section 7 licence.

Contact Details

Office Address Consumer and Business Services
Chesser House,
91-97 Grenfell Street
Postal Address Consumer and Business Services
GPO Box 2169
General Enquiries Reception: 131 882
Fax Number (08) 8226 8512
Email Address